Chiropractic Care in Topeka
The Center for Manual Medicine and Regenerative Orthopedics is Topeka’s only multidisciplinary practice treating musculoskeletal problems of the back, neck, arms and legs.
Our Chiropractic Treatment Advantage:
- We combine manipulation and traditional medical treatments.
- Rehabilitation to improve posture and key movement patterns completes each manual treatment.
- Same or next day appointments.
- Evaluation and treatment plans will be sent for your doctor to review.
- Our treatment method helps prevent surgery and expensive procedures.
- We empower patients and emphasize their role in recovery.
- We identify problem causes early and act as a central point of communication with other healthcare professionals.
We specialize in:
- Back and neck pain – mechanical or radicular
- Pre and post-surgical rehabilitation
- Same or next day appointments
- Hip and knee pain
- Ankle and foot pain
- Shoulder and elbow pain
- Wrist and arm pain
- Trigger fingers
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tendonitis / Bursitis
- Work, auto, and sports injuries
- Movement Anxiety
- Helping to decrease fall / fracture risks in elderly patients by increasing strength, balance and confidence
- Medication and local injections available
- Ultrasound diagnosis
- Ultrasound guided injections
Our Chiropractic Practice
Dr. Penn and Dr. Keen both share the vision that many musculoskeletal problems stem from abnormal movement patterns that can be changed. Problems may develop after trauma, but in many cases the pattern has developed over a long period of time. The position we sit and stand and lie in along with the actions of work and play can create asymmetric forces that strain our bodies. The end result may be a tightening or locking up that prevents normal movement. Usually this goes unnoticed until it causes pain. A vicious cycle develops: strain from repeated positions and movements causes the area to become irritable. Pain is felt with certain movements or when the area is touched. If the strain continues the area becomes irritated or inflamed and a constant discomfort occurs. The process may be gradual or explode into pain. These problems may respond to rest or a change in activity. When they continue, improving the movement can relieve the strain and the pain. But that is only half of the problem. If the habits that caused the initial problem continue, it is only a matter of time before the pain returns.
Both doctors use hands on or “manual” methods in order to improve the movement. Techniques may focus on the joints or on the surrounding soft tissue including ligaments, muscles and tendons. Usually more invasive therapies such as medication and local injections can be avoided, but are added when necessary.
The final and perhaps most important leg of treatment involves helping you create new ways to live your life. Our Chiropractors or Physical Therapists will work with you one on one. Their job is to make you aware of faulty movement and positions and help you to create new, healthy habits. Thus the cycle of poor movement patterns and pain is reversed. We work as a team to reach the goals of pain relief, improved function and preventive care. Team members include you and your primary care or referring physician. Although many patients come to us by word of mouth, most are referred to us by medical doctors including primary care physicians, neuro surgeons, and orthopedic surgeons. When we are all working in the same direction, excellent results can be achieved.